New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

A Ragtag Team

Who's your favorite member of Team Clarence?
Clarence (the main man)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Emil (behind the wheel)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Joe (keep your eye on him)
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Leon (lady's man)
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Minh (strong silent type)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bobby (cannot fly)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 5

RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:33 pm Reply with quote

I was thinking about Clarence's gang and it occurred to me that I know all their names: Emil, Minh, Joe, Leon, Bobby (his membership was short-lived). Why is it that I can recall each one and even generate a personality profile for each one?
THEN IT HIT ME! Clarence's gang is very similar to the ragtag teams that writers create in movies (usually the good guys)! Think about it, they are a multi-cultural group with individual skills and traits; Joe is funny and fast, Minh is quiet and good with the shotgun, Emil is the driver, Leon is the pretty boy, Clarence is the brains. It's like the ultimate bad guy A-Team!
I can think of a dozen movies that have this team dynamic (TMNT, X-Men, Goonies, Aliens, Tremors, list goes on and on) and each time, the team members' individual skills and talents end up becoming plot devices later. RoboCop is no different. Clarence's team was successful in creating RoboCop by killing Murphy in the steel mill showdown. The only difference is that RoboCop uses their traits against them to take them out one by one (Leon is at the club being cool, Emil is picking on college students and stealing from gas stations).
I might be incorrect, but to my knowledge, there are few movies that have a ragtag team as the antagonists.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote

I chose Leon. He likes to have a a good time that guy.

Whenever i watch RoboCop I always find it a bit disturbing how cold and disloyal they seemed to be to fallen gang members. Bobby most of all but also when Joe was shot at the steel mill they just leave and move on while he is on the ground dying.

The only gang member Clarence really seemed to care about was Leon.

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:26 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
I chose Leon. He likes to have a a good time that guy.

Whenever i watch RoboCop I always find it a bit disturbing how cold and disloyal they seemed to be to fallen gang members. Bobby most of all but also when Joe was shot at the steel mill they just leave and move on while he is on the ground dying.

The only gang member Clarence really seemed to care about was Leon.

I voted for Leon too before I looked at the comments and was surprised to see he had other votes but you are right. He does like to have a good time and unlike the other members of the crew (that are fleshed out) he does not seem to be pure evil while still a clearly bad guy. Clarence and Emil are showed harassing innocent people, while Leon is just out at the club getting down with the boogie. Clarence is truly the best character of the bunch, but so vile that we love to hate him, not just love him. Leon was much more relatable and our window as an audience into the crew. Minh and Bobby just don't get enough screentime to enter the running for me. Minh seems kinda cool but Bobby's aerodynamic failings keep him grounded at the bottom of the list.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:01 am Reply with quote

I too voted for Leon, though Joe is a close second.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:55 am Reply with quote

Leon had an awesome death scene. Getting blown to bits with the Cobra Assault Cannon was awesome especially as he was celebrating crushing Murphy with the steel. Clarence had the badass neck stab, Bobby got thrown out of a moving vehicle. Minh and Joe were both gunned down by RoboCop.
The best death scene goes to Emil, transformed into Melty Man by toxic waste and then liquified by the 6000 SUX.
What a great team! Even in death they remain entertaining!

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:59 am Reply with quote

Not really sure if I'd go with Leon or Joe. They both seemed like the fun ones (though Clarence can clearly have a ball as well). And there's just something about Joe's beard and shades combo Very Happy

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote

Joe's laugh should earn him a vote alone, but I think Clarence or Leon were my favourites, with Joe and Emil close behind. Minh and Bobby not so much, as we never really saw much of them or got to see their personalities shine through on screen. Plus they both died pretty early on in proceedings which didn't help!

RB 19226

HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:00 pm Reply with quote

Joe !

"Does it hurt ? Does it huuuurt ?"

RB 1199

game-xbox
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard