New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

MGM for sale - Studio facing financial problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:47 pm Reply with quote

Facing heavy financial problems MGM, the owner of RoboCop, is currently looking into a sale of all its assets, including its vast film library. MGM is hoping for a bidding war between Hollywood studios to acquire the rights to franchises like Bond, Rocky, Stargate and of course RoboCop.

Where do you think Robo should end up? At Disney perhaps?

SOURCE:
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/mgm-holdings-sale-james-bond-1234868114/

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:44 am Reply with quote

Disney? God I hope not.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:38 am Reply with quote

Anyone but Disney really. I imagine Universal or Warner Bros may want to get a hold of Bond at least.

I suppose this means RoboCop Returns won't be happening in the next few years then...

RB 18145

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:50 am Reply with quote

I said that on Instagram. Let´s do a crowdfunding and buy the property tongue

Jokes aside, RoboCop won´t return. No surprise. I just only hope the one who will get the rights will do something with the character instead of killing it forever. I´m tired of watching companies treating the character as shit. Comics usually got the Frank Miller related stuff, a short run of original comics and let it die. No new TV series since 2000. Yes, there are some merchandising, usually the same figure with small details and different boxes to exploit the only mold they did.

Seeing new Roborelated figures, shirts or whatever I assume there´s a public for the character. But it seems Hollywood or Streaming services don´t care. Sad.

Even more sad to see companies promising a new movie just to see the director leaving after saying it would be a RoboNerd wet dream, announcing a new director, and now this. Beh.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:37 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
Where do you think Robo should end up? At Disney perhaps?

Sure, sounds good to me. Maybe the project might actually get made. And after seeing how great the Mandalorian was, if they wanted to make a Disney+ RoboCop series like that I would be all on board. It sounds a little farfetched, but it would work. And yes, it would have to be a little less bloody, but Mandalorian proved that Disney can do something action packed and downright violent while still staying family friendly. And as we all know, most of Robocop's adventures were family friendly, despite coming from an R rated film. So if that is the path for Robo, I say bring it on.

A more realistic place for Robo to end up would be HBO Max. They have been digging into some older franchises for their original content, and now with the Warner Bros deal bringing even more stuff like that to their service maybe Robo on HBO Max isn't as farfetched as Disney+. After all, they are bringing Matrix 4 to Hbo Max, so why not RoboCop 4? And of course they could do the fully dark and bloody version of Robo that many fans feel is essential.

Either way, those are the dream scenarios. In reality, it does not seem like much headway was made on the supposed RoboCop Returns movie, and with the horrendous state that the movie industry is in, any chances of that movie seeing the light of day is far, far away. My true hope would be that they forget about it, as they likely already have, and someone comes back to it in a couple years and says hey we own this RoboCop property why aren't we doing something with this. I know some fans are still holding out hope on the true sequel based on Corporate Wars with the original creators involved, but for me that ship sailed long, long ago.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Sean_001
Vault Dweller

DC-L1

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:52 pm Reply with quote

If this is the case, I wonder if RoboCop Returns is actually finished and collecting dust on a shelf. Quick! Release it to save MGM from Bankruptcy.

Seriously, I'm just going to start ignoring any RoboCop movie news until this whole ordeal is over. With the new Buttman being pushed back 2 more years, Tom Cruise losing his ahit on set of a new M.I. movie, and everything has the Direct-To-Streaming (Made-for-TV/Direct-to-Video) feel to it now.

As for the thought of Disney buying the property; DOUBT THAT HIGHLY! Nothing in the RoboCop Myhtos is cohesive with the Values of Disney. The only "Family" angle relatable is abandoned early on in the story. Even still, I will use Star Wars as the example. IMO, they fucked it up further. I love SW, but haven't been much of a fanboy since they bought Lucasfilm. Fuck Disney. Conglomorate fucks buying everything, creating a movie/TV monopoly where everything is cleaned and sanitized year after year. Seriously, Fuck them. Imagine what a Disney RoboCop Re-release on DVD/Blu/Streaming would look like. It makes me sick.

Speculating on who would express the most interest and Ultimately buying the Franchise....

...I say, Sony would probably be the front runner. Sony has a decent relationship Columbia/Tri-Star, and they could treat the property with some due respect. Negating what they did with the Marvel Properties, seemingly, they know how to produce a movie and keep it under budget. But I suspect this has more to do with all of the CG Artists they employ, than with actually wanting to make imaginative movies and tell a great story. Don't get me wrong, Sony is almost as bad as Disney with Buying everything they can under the sun. I feel that Sony would be a better home of Officer Murphy.

RB 700

OCP-stock ultra6 comic1-robocop game-nes1 game-nes4
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:59 pm Reply with quote

Sean_001 :
I will use Star Wars as the example. IMO, they fucked it up further. I love SW, but haven't been much of a fanboy since they bought Lucasfilm. Fuck Disney.

Sean_001 :
Sony has a decent relationship Columbia/Tri-Star, and they could treat the property with some due respect. Negating what they did with the Marvel Properties, seemingly, they know how to produce a movie and keep it under budget.

I feel like you are ignoring some pretty important aspects to both sides of this picture. First, with Disney, I agree they did a ton of irreversible damage to Star Wars, what they did to Luke was just unforgivable and the whole trilogy was a major disappointment... but that is not all Disney has done with Star Wars. The Mandalorian has been universally successful, with many (myself included) saying that it is the best Star Wars has been since the original trilogy, or perhaps even the best it has ever been. So while I can't forgive Disney for how they handled the sequel trilogy, they didn't just fuck up Star Wars further, they also returned Star Wars to its former glory and made the franchise as spectacular and beloved as ever before. Personally, I think it is overall for the best. If Star Wars had died with the prequel trilogy it would have left off on a bad note, so overall I happy that the most current Star Wars stuff it among the best ever, with more on the way.

Then, for Sony, you do mention their bungled Marvel movies, and say "negating them" but you cannot negate them in my book. Might as well just forget the whole Star Wars sequel trilogy and just look at the Mandalorian if you are only looking at the positive. But it is important to see the whole picture. Sony has proved multiple times that they do not know how to handly these kind of nerdy and nostalgic licensed franchises. Since the Marvel stuff is about as close to the Robo franchise as it gets (don't forget Marvel themselves made Robo comics/cartoons back in the day), I would personally not be able to forget how they handled Spider-Man and Venom when thinking of how they could handle Robo.

I am not saying that Disney is objectively the better choice or that you are wrong or anything like that, just saying there is more to consider. If Disney got the Robo license and treated it with the same respect, budget, and marketing as the Mandalorian, I don't think there could be anything better for our beloved franchise. Likewise, if Sony got control of Robo and bungled it the way they did with Venom, I think it would do even more harm to our beloved franchise than the 2014 remake. That was just bland, but Sony would make a laughably bad movie, and they would probably cast Tom Hardy as Robo too.

And, while we're on the subject of the 2014 RoboCop remake, let's not forget that Columbia Pictures was one of the companies that produced that film. Columbia Pictures is owned by Sony. The movie itself was distributed by Sony. They have already had one shot at working on a RoboCop movie and that was the result, do we really want Sony taking another crack at it?

RB 1658

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:51 am Reply with quote

Sony are already involved with RoboCop... they released the 2014 RoboCop movie, they own Colombia and Screen Gems.

RB 18145

Spectrum Scarlet
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

SIMPY 4 PIMPY

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:36 am Reply with quote

Fox. I’d like to see them take a stab at Murphy. Although they’ve been partly responsible for the “Terminator”, “Alien” and “Predator” instalments of recent years, they’ve not been entirely to blame for how those have turned out. Not every film they’ve produced has been poor or mishandled, and most of the flaws are the result of their directors (who usually are co-writers/co-producers or have final approval on script & cut).

Fox have produced some pretty impressive pictures in the last decade or so and they’re the only studio who’ve took a punt on R-rated flicks. “Deadpool”, “Logan” and “Gone Girl” are the three obvious examples and while I haven’t seen them completely to say, the aforementioned franchises and “X-Men”, “Taken”, “Kingsman”, “Alita: Battle Angel”, along with the (newer) “Planet of the Apes” trilogy, seem to be fairly violent and visceral. “The Revenant” with DiCaprio and that bear attack sequence was savage for a PG-13 certificate.

I may be wrong, but given their track records and output over the same time-span, the other studios would probably not sign off on a Verhoeven/Neumeier/Miner-esque reboot. Since the superhero ‘boom’ took over, Fox I reckon is the only one where theirs have appealed to an older, cult audience. A new “RoboCop” iteration would at least retain some of its original integrity and elements with them. Anywhere else, it’d be teen-skewered. More so. Think “Fast & Furious”. We can do without that.

RB 2500

hamburger batman-card comic2-robocop comic4-robocop
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:00 am Reply with quote

Spectrum Scarlet :
Fox. I’d like to see them take a stab at Murphy.

Fox doesn't exist anymore. They were bought out by Disney. The X-men movies have slowly been making their way onto Disney+. 20th Century Fox got renamed to 20th Century Studios, I guess they still could go forward with getting the RoboCop but it would still be a Disney movie at the end of the day. And with Fox's track record it is honestly for the best, yes they did make a few good X-men movies and some other decent stuff, but they also bungled a lot of franchises I love and even with X-men they made more bad movies than good movies, not to mention Fan4stic.

RB 1658

Spectrum Scarlet
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

SIMPY 4 PIMPY

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:13 am Reply with quote

That leaves Paramount and Universal...not sure about either.

Couldn’t Marvel not buy the rights? With their history of the character?

RB 2500

hamburger batman-card comic2-robocop comic4-robocop
Zentron
:

<font color=0f1637>:<font color=C0D9D9>

Comment: Your move creep!!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:47 pm Reply with quote

Disney is facing their own financial problems, it may even go into bankruptcy!

RB 2649

game-xbox dvd-rvst klf-album1 RoboAnime ED-209-3D cola
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:51 pm Reply with quote

We should collectively buy the rights to RoboCop and make our own movie.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:09 pm Reply with quote

RoboJOF :
We should collectively buy the rights to RoboCop and make our own movie.

With the state of the movie industry it would be probably be cheaper than ever to acquire the rights... unless they are really working on RoboCop Returns like some led us to believe. Still, I think we could get it for a bargain. Millions of dollars maybe, but still an all time low. I got $50 on it...

RB 1658

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard