New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Amazon buys MGM - Now own RoboCop rights
Goto page 1, 2  Next

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:35 pm Reply with quote

Put up for sale in December last year Amazon has now bought MGM for a neat $8,45 billion. With that Amazon now have the rights to MGMs vast film library and franchises such as James Bond, Rocky, Stargate and of course RoboCop. Do you think Robo found a good home at Amazon?

* Post edited for News forum

SOURCE:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/26/business/amazon-MGM.html

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:33 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, this is gonna be interesting!

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote

That doesnīt mean anything, as they could keep Robo on a closet and not giving a shit, but man, would it be cool to have a new series. Iīd love that. As much Iīd like to have a new robofilm, Iīm afraid itīd end being another Terminator: Genesys or Dark Fate, a cash grab and a "rad spin" on Robo (like a shiny black rubber suit). Spend some money on making a newer suit based on the classic one (same design, less heavier for the actor) and make a season with it. I can picture a "RoboCop: The Series" vibe, but with blood and adult themes, and you can put Lewis and the supporting cast back. Iīd buy that for a dollar.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:33 pm Reply with quote

This could be good news in the longrun, but all it really confirms now is that we will have to wait a lot longer before any new Robo project actually materializes. Amazon could be a great fit for Robo. I really love their adaption of the Boys, which is not afriad to embrace the bloodier AND the sillier aspects of the comics. I hear their Invincible adaption is also satisfyingly brutal. So it seems Amazon is not shy about adapting slightly lesser known geeky properties in all their bloody gory. If they did a RoboCop series that captured the spirit and tone of the property as well as they did with the Boys it could easily be the best RoboCop spinoff we have ever gotten. I just hope they see the potential for Robo and don't leave him on the back burner forever.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:38 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
If they did a RoboCop series that captured the spirit and tone of the property as well as they did with the Boys it could easily be the best RoboCop spinoff we have ever gotten. I just hope they see the potential for Robo and don't leave him on the back burner forever.

Thatīd be a wet dream. I think a movie would compromise the core elements of the character too much, as itīd have to please a wider audience unless is a cheaply made production, but a streaming series would get the violence and satire, and trying to win the old fans in the way.

But hey, these are only words, as we donīt know whatīll happen.

Oh, hell, hope it wonīt be "Dick Jones, OCP Dick". Laughing

RB 11786

Spectrum Scarlet
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

SIMPY 4 PIMPY

Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:39 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
...all it really confirms now is that we will have to wait a lot longer before any new Robo project actually materializes.

Erm...no, it doesn't.

You do talk some shit, Pimpy. You're hilarious. Laughing

RB 2500

hamburger batman-card comic2-robocop comic4-robocop
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:21 am Reply with quote

I certainly don't see how Amazon owning it could be any worse, at least.

Spectrum Scarlet :
RoboPimp :
...all it really confirms now is that we will have to wait a lot longer before any new Robo project actually materializes.

Erm...no, it doesn't.

Any projects currently in the pipeline will inevitably be delayed in their process while Amazon's 'reviewing' what they got and 'reorganizing' what of it they wish to their liking. At least for a time, anyway.

In the case of Robo well, production hell is production hell - We were in for a wait regardless. But I very much doubt we'll see anything happen any quicker though. Hopefully I'm wrong here, foolish as said hope may be. We shall see.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:37 am Reply with quote

A friend sent me this: https://www.radiotimes.com/movies/amazon-buys-mgm-james-bond-newsupdate/?fbclid=IwAR0M2gVtcPxMdXgCPjGvLy7q34V-NZZgRl06pADnhQ5yXVRcaZ-q1iPj3lc

Quote:
Amazon has revealed that it plans to “reimagine and develop” James Bond, RoboCop and several other properties following its takeover of MGM.

RB 11786

Spectrum Scarlet
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

SIMPY 4 PIMPY

Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:51 am Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
Any projects currently in the pipeline will inevitably be delayed in their process while Amazon's 'reviewing' what they got and 'reorganizing' what of it they wish to their liking. At least for a time, anyway.

In the case of Robo well, production hell is production hell - We were in for a wait regardless. But I very much doubt we'll see anything happen any quicker though. Hopefully I'm wrong here, foolish as said hope may be. We shall see.

They already know what they've got. Robo is a major IP. It's not some little-known title they'll discover at the bottom of the catalogue. As Chanood has posted and I've come across another quote below from the VP of Prime, they won't be wasting much time.

"The real financial value behind this deal is the treasure trove of IP [...] that we plan to reimagine and develop together with MGM's talented team."

Prime will have final say, even if people from MGM are involved; judging by their production activity in recent years, it won't be in development hell. More likely, it'll be fast-tracked.

RB 2500

hamburger batman-card comic2-robocop comic4-robocop
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:12 am Reply with quote

Spectrum Scarlet :
As Chanood has posted and I've come across another quote below from the VP of Prime, they won't be wasting much time.

"The real financial value behind this deal is the treasure trove of IP [...] that we plan to reimagine and develop together with MGM's talented team."

Prime will have final say, even if people from MGM are involved; judging by their production activity in recent years, it won't be in development hell. More likely, it'll be fast-tracked.

Just read that article, and sounds good enough certainly. Of course being a Robo fan I'm accustomed to being skeptical about announcements of something being done with the property - Comes with the territory Laughing But again, here's hoping I eat my words and they do make something worthwhile and don't make us wait for the second coming to do so. Smile

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:28 am Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
Just read that article, and sounds good enough certainly. Of course being a Robo fan I'm accustomed to being skeptical about announcements of something being done with the property - Comes with the territory Laughing But again, here's hoping I eat my words and they do make something worthwhile and don't make us wait for the second coming to do so. Smile

I just hope that "reimagine" doesnīt mean something like "black rubber" again. tongue

RB 11786

Robomania
R-L3

R-L3

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:12 am Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
Stan The Man :

I just hope that "reimagine" doesnīt mean something like "black rubber" again. tongue

I was happy Bback when it looked like the original suit design would be used in Returns, before everything changed. Really is an awewsome design.

Guess we wait and see whats to come.

RB 166

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:33 am Reply with quote

Robomania :
I was happy Bback when it looked like the original suit design would be used in Returns, before everything changed. Really is an awewsome design.

I agree. Itīs a great design. Iīd only do tweaks here and there. You know, the gloves could look a little bit "soft" and you can spots some cracks from the material, but nowadays you could get some gloves which would look "metallic" and strong with the same design. But if the overall look works well after 30 years, why bother doing a newer interpretation? Heīs not Batman, who changes his suit according to the situation (to sell toys, in real life), the suit is his body.

Just make it more easy to wear to the actor, thatīs all they really need to do.

RB 11786

RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:00 am Reply with quote

There are a lot of older franchises getting remakes lately. Ones that kids nowadays don't even have a connection to outside of watching TV with their parents. I was surprised to hear about the new Ghostbusters. I imagine that the people who watched these shows and movies as a kid are the largest audience, but does the younger generation really enjoy it?
The original movie presented a very different future than what we have now. The notion of having a cyborg cop is not realistic now. In truth, the robot drones and ED-209s of the 2014 movie are much more likely to be the future of our advanced military. The point that the remake makes about human-robot integration is that it isn't efficient and therefore not necessary. Any new RoboCop material will have to be set in the past (when the originals were set), or perhaps they will go the route of time travel with the RoboCop vs. Terminator idea. That would make for a great animated series or anime style movie.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard