New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop: The Series on HD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:16 pm Reply with quote

Happy New Year, everyone. It seems "RoboCop: The Series" will have a new, 2 disc (?) release in the UK by Screenbound Pictures. According to several webs, including Amazon, it´ll be available in March. So far they´re using the same picture from the Liberation Hall release, plus the same list of "featurettes" from the previous release. Not sure if they´ll cram everything on two discs as they listed it, if they´ll release the episodes with the correct TV aspect or if the info and pic is temporary from the sellers and they´ll do anything different.

I asked them on Twitter but no reply yet.

I just found it´s listed on their website. The cover is a big turn off; hope they´ll do something better: https://screenbounddirect.co.uk/product/robocop/

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:51 pm Reply with quote

That cover has got to be a temp one right? It's absolutely terrible.
Mixing a photo of a city, with artwork and a cutout Robo. Awful.

If released it could take the top spot of worst cover for a Robo release ever.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:00 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
That cover has got to be a temp one right? It's absolutely terrible.
Mixing a photo of a city, with artwork and a cutout Robo. Awful.

If released it could take the top spot of worst cover for a Robo release ever.

Oh, yeah. I send them a mail asking for details of the release (if they´ll be in widescreen or with the original aspect ratio) and even offered myself to work in the cover design, refering to that one a "temp cover", in case they were going for that as the official one. That´s a lazy one (and they´re even using a background image from an illustrator to get this one, which isn´t too fair as I suspect they didn´t reach that dude to put it there), so I´d find it hard to believe they´d thought these artwork would make someone buy it.

I even told them that, since the US lifted the behind the scenes featurette from here, they could even reach this site if needed. It seems they forgot to include the photo gallery on the extras for this release.

I doubt I´ll have any kind of reply, but I´d love to have a fancy edition of a RoboProduct for once instead of lazy artwork and lazy content one more time.

I found out in other forums they replied to somebody else, claiming they´re going for a two discs (most likely BD50), keeping the 4:3 aspect ratio. Plus "we are restoring the picture, meaning we will achieve a better HD picture, compared to the US and German release." So let´s see if it´ll turn well.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Sean_001
Vault Dweller

DC-L1

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:52 pm Reply with quote

That is a horrendous cover.

This looks like a cheap $5 Bootleg you find on the streets.

RB 700

OCP-stock ultra6 comic1-robocop game-nes1 game-nes4
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:45 pm Reply with quote

Sean_001 :
That is a horrendous cover.

This looks like a cheap $5 Bootleg you find on the streets.

I agree. It´s pretty bad.

They didn´t reply (I guess offering a hand over design duties doesn´t help) but I´ll keep an eye or two about what they´re going to do. I´d love to be optimistic about the image "restoration", but it seems Liberation Hall claimed the image was restored for their release and quality wasn´t the best. I didn´t pick the USA version, and I´ll wait for this one in case. As I already said on this topic, it´d be cool to add more stuff to the RoboCollection, but I always hope for a decent product.

What I find odd is that they´re aiming for a March release, yet they didn´t know for sure if they´ll go for a two disc edition or anything else. It seems they´d have things more prepared when it´ll be out in two months...

As for the extras, knowing 95% are plain text, I´d take it off from the discs and make a little, cute booklet with all these info. I think it´d look cool and better than plain text on a screen. The good aspect of the "Behind The Scenes" featurette would make some people check this website, since I assume they´ll lift the same one posted here, used in the Liberation Hall´s edition. tongue

RB 11786

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:08 pm Reply with quote

The page says 4 disc set... We'll. have to wait and see how that turns out. Plus, I doubt any picture restoration is going to be any good if all they are doing is up-ressing the video footage and not the original 35mm film (if it is even available).

They have even copied the text from the Liberation Hall site it seems, they list 'Lisa Madigan' as one of the actresses in the show... puzzled

RB 18145

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:40 pm Reply with quote

Rick :
The page says 4 disc set... We'll. have to wait and see how that turns out.

Yes, they updated the page. Originally they replied to one guy they were aiming for a two disc edition. Plus, they added the "Fact Sheet" info on the Bonus Features list.

Rick :
I doubt any picture restoration is going to be any good if all they are doing is up-ressing the video footage and not the original 35mm film (if it is even available).

Well, it seems they´re working with Liberation Hall´s stuff, so I doubt they´d have access to film in the first place. They´re probably going to use these "master tapes" the producer told on media about the so called "restoration". I´m not a tech dude, and I doubt we´d have a "definitive edition" of The Series, but I guess they could (kinda) upgrade the quality on a digital level to some extent. It seems the Liberation Hall had better colors than the previous one disc German edition, so there´s room to tweak and improve things. But sadly I doubt we´ll have something good there.

Rick :
They have even copied the text from the Liberation Hall site it seems, they list 'Lisa Madigan' as one of the actresses in the show... puzzled

Yup...

RB 11786

drsyn71
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:46 pm Reply with quote

Apparently it'll be in 4:3 aspect ratio according to somebody who commented on DVDNews' Facebook post:

https://www.facebook.com/dvdnewsflash/posts/pfbid0ytYv1AS2THzLqjUdjWTdXTet3WrJqEtvnVRBSF17QZtzhA85Q4yUpCZtcVVRxcX3l

I really like the part "restoring the film". Uh... YEAH!

RB 1002

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:51 am Reply with quote

drsyn71 :
Apparently it'll be in 4:3 aspect ratio according to somebody who commented on DVDNews' Facebook post

Yup. The company behind this release told some people that via mail.

drsyn71 :
I really like the part "restoring the film". Uh... YEAH!

Let´s wait to see if they did something or not. You know, Liberation Hall said the same and little restoration was done. I guess they transfer the VHS into digital and that´s all. If Screenbound did some restoration, I guess they´d take the digital transfers (remember, the bonus content is the exact same of the US release, minus the photo gallery) and put a few "sharpen" filters. I don´t know how much they could do with the image when the source are VHS master tapes.

RB 11786

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:07 pm Reply with quote

Is it worth someone telling them that 'Lisa Madigan' isn't a real person, and Yvette Nipar would probably appreciate being credited correctly for her role?!

RB 18145

drsyn71
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:52 pm Reply with quote

Rick :
Is it worth someone telling them that 'Lisa Madigan' isn't a real person, and Yvette Nipar would probably appreciate being credited correctly for her role?!

No. You'd probably only annoy some woman in an office answering phones and e-mails named Megan. A message like that would get an eyeroll at best. She and most others at that company know nothing nor care about Robocop whatsoever. It's just another commodity or "content" passing through the doors of the UK version of Liberation Hall.

RB 1002

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:52 am Reply with quote

Rick :

I did! Laughing I warned them about Liberation Hall´s release. It had a bunch of errors, and I named "Lisa Madigan", as it appears on the "features" section in their webpage. It seems they didn´t care, as they didn´t change it there.

drsyn71 :
You'd probably only annoy some woman in an office answering phones and e-mails named Megan. A message like that would get an eyeroll at best.

Yup.

drsyn71 :
She and most others at that company know nothing nor care about Robocop whatsoever. It's just another commodity or "content" passing through the doors of the UK version of Liberation Hall.

And yup again. But it´s a shame they don´t try to release a decent edition. I mean, when you´re working on a project, you have to pay attention to details. You can´t list characters as actors, alter the episode´s titles and such and be ok with that. Because a bunch of buyers will spot these and think your company doesn´t care about that product. And worst of all, first Liberation Hall promised a real, HD conversion in 16:9 without cutting the image, and now this release promises an upgrade in quality compared to the US and German releases.

If I were the people behind these companies I´d try to shut my mouth instead of making promises they can´t deliver, release it as it is. "Prime Directives" had a bunch of UK DVD releases and I didn´t find any which promised "THE BEST ROBOCOP EVER", promising ultraquality and a bunch of featurettes in the mix. Hell, a lot of them had the whole miniseries on a disc. They release as it was: a cheap release of a famous property´s spinoff most of people didn´t know. I prefer having B-Movie stuff on a not expensive edition than trying to pass it for a definitive edition with better resolution and a bunch of bonus features on it.

RB 11786

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:50 pm Reply with quote

Ok. I´m quite impressed. They actually did something: https://www.facebook.com/ScreenboundPic/posts/pfbid0nZ7SBAF5anMxRfCTZTiXxEYQj5j9py3sdRoYXL4ifHtGnpYmHNjiZ991fxhxqUcVl

I assume it was made by AI like other upscales we see on YouTube and other sites, but it´s something. Now they have to fix the cover and the bonus contents.

Plus, they upgraded the number of discs to 5.

RB 11786

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:15 pm Reply with quote

Some of those shots do look a lot better but it is clearly just an AI upscale and not the 'rescanning of the original negatives' type of HD restoration we'd like. I see on the website they do refer to the actress name correctly as Yvette Nipar now, but the 'extra features' section still has Lisa Madigan.

RB 18145

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard