New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop 2 - What happened?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:05 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
LaughingSnowman :
I get depressed watching R2 so I choose not to watch it anymore. I don't even find it fun because it has such a discouraging feel to it.

Interesting, what parts do you find depressing? I've seen so many movies since R2 that truly are sad and depressing (recently Midsommar and Joker) and nowadays Robo2 is pretty ok in its tone. A bit cold but its fine.

The terrifying Murphys death scene from the first movie still tops anything that Robo2 can throw at you.

I totally agree. Like anything Frank Miller writes, there is definitely a cynical downer vibe at times, but unlike everything Frank Miller writes, it has a triumphant and optimistic conclusion. If Frank Miller was writing it now, RoboCop would be dead, Cain would still be running a nuke empire, and the ending would be totally bleak. However, that is not what we got, and by the end it is your typical 'hero saves the day' vibe. Far from the most depressing film I've ever seen, and I don't think an action or sci-fi movie can ever really be as dark and depressing at the dramas that are built around that kind of tone. So I do see where you are coming from in terms of the 'discouraging' tone of RoboCop 2, but remember that now matter how discouraged and literally destroyed RoboCop was, Murhpy prevailed and he came back to save the day in the end, and that's a damn hopeful message to me!

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Maxlee
C-L1

C-L1

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote

Funny, the more I see R2, the more I see it as a over the top, sarcastic, looney-esque movie with a strange sense of humor that doesn't take itself serious whatsoever. Like, almost every character is batshit crazy and wouldn't be able to properly function in our own reality.

The violin-man, the surgeons being silly when they casually extract a brain, Catzo as comic relief when our hero is being butchered, Faxx screaming at everyone with her 24/7 annoyed look, OCP being evil for the sake of being evil, Duffy generally being a doofus ...

The movie went from unwatchable cruel to what-were-they-smoking-I-need-more-beer-for-this to me.

Funny thing.

(But make no mistake, I still HATE the dismemberment-plot.)

RB 1560

Superquad7
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote

Maxlee :
Funny, the more I see R2, the more I see it as a over the top, sarcastic, looney-esque movie with a strange sense of humor that doesn't take itself serious whatsoever. Like, almost every character is batshit crazy and wouldn't be able to properly function in our own reality.

The violin-man, the surgeons being silly when they casually extract a brain, Catzo as comic relief when our hero is being butchered, Faxx screaming at everyone with her 24/7 annoyed look, OCP being evil for the sake of being evil, Duffy generally being a doofus ...

The movie went from unwatchable cruel to what-were-they-smoking-I-need-more-beer-for-this to me.

Funny thing.

(But make no mistake, I still HATE the dismemberment-plot.)

This guy gets it.

I like the plot, though.

RB 549

Scratch Card
HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:49 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Archive :
LaughingSnowman :
I get depressed watching R2 so I choose not to watch it anymore. I don't even find it fun because it has such a discouraging feel to it.

Interesting, what parts do you find depressing? I've seen so many movies since R2 that truly are sad and depressing (recently Midsommar and Joker) and nowadays Robo2 is pretty ok in its tone. A bit cold but its fine.

The terrifying Murphys death scene from the first movie still tops anything that Robo2 can throw at you.

and by the end it is your typical 'hero saves the day' vibe. Far from the most depressing film I've ever seen, and I don't think an action or sci-fi movie can ever really be as dark and depressing at the dramas that are built around that kind of tone. So I do see where you are coming from in terms of the 'discouraging' tone of RoboCop 2, but remember that now matter how discouraged and literally destroyed RoboCop was, Murhpy prevailed and he came back to save the day in the end, and that's a damn hopeful message to me!

This is not how I see it.The the Old man is not busted, and Detroit is still plagued by crime.The ending of the original felt happier because all the bad guys got killed or busted at least.

RB 1199

game-xbox
RoboLewis
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:30 am Reply with quote

I wanted to see more scenes with Murphy and Lewis to see how they’ve grown as partners since the end of the first film. I wish some of the deleted scenes were kept in because they were great. Duffy getting cut open, Cain’s brain getting removed and his eyes staring back at you were disturbing scenes. Robocain shooting everyone in the dark and then when he showed his angry face to Angie and kills her was truly frightening! Murphy being stripped is a scene I have skip at times but it hurts to see Murphy in pain!

RB 1156

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:09 pm Reply with quote

Interesting quote from Mark Rolston who played a small part in Robo2 as the character Stef. He is probably most remembered for his part in Aliens.

Mark Rolston :
RoboCop 2 was fun. The sad part, and I shouldn't probably say this, but Nancy Allen (Officer Lewis), she ruined it for me because she was so bad in the movie.
I had all my scenes with her, she mostly got cut out of the movie, so I was cut along with her. It was a bad experience.

As much as i like some behind the scenes dirt being thrown around, i doubt that Allen's bad acting was the reason she was mostly cut from the movie.

Full Interview (nothing more about Robo2)
https://aftermoviediner.com/feed/interviews/mark-rolston

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:09 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
As much as i like some behind the scenes dirt being thrown around, i doubt that Allen's bad acting was the reason she was mostly cut from the movie.

I wonder if it was more "she behaved bad" than "she acted bad" on R2. If Lewis worked fine on 1 & 3 I can´t see the problem on the second one. Unless Kershner felt she did it horrible to cut her over and over on the final film.

Well, the glamourous life of making pictures...

HOB888 :
This is not how I see it.The the Old man is not busted, and Detroit is still plagued by crime.The ending of the original felt happier because all the bad guys got killed or busted at least.

I think tone is one of the big issues of RoboCop 2. Yes, perhaps the R2 ending is more "realistic", as people with a bunch of cash and power could go anywhere without consequences and such, but the overall tone is ugly. Even the score is! Laughing The first one is grim, but had space for some optimistic or fun sequences. Also, and I think I said it before, I think Miller´s humour doesn´t translate well into big screen. He adds a lot of fun stuff on their comics, but that gets lost when they put it on the big screen. Maybe Kershner wasn´t the right choice to handle irony and satire on a project like this.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:38 am Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
Archive :

I wonder if it was more "she behaved bad" than "she acted bad" on R2. If Lewis worked fine on 1 & 3 I can´t see the problem on the second one. Unless Kershner felt she did it horrible to cut her over and over on the final film..

I agree it wasn't a case of acting but personal attitude behind the camera. That said I don't believe that's the reason why she got cut so much, at least not entirely.

It's been talked about elsewhere the stories of bad blood with Nancy in R2, particularly in regards to Irv Kershner. How she very much felt he treated her poorly, had a bad temper, was a huge problem and so on. While also hearing about how Nancy Allen acted like a 'diva' and displayed poor behavior herself, being contemptuous of the production. (There was also some talk of issues with Nancy even on R3, but that never seemed to have as much to them, partly because it seems she got along better with Dekker, probably moreso because she was on her way out and of course wasn't on set nearly as much)

Anyway back to R2 and this new bit here - Sounds like this adds some ammo for the 'Nancy was a diva' stance. Which I can see given what I've heard about her over time.

But even then, again, I don't think it was all her and she got cut because of that as Rolston's statement sort-of implies. More a mixed bag - As her scenes (along with others) got cut through the process of that hellish production (remember they cut a lot of exposition and character stuff for the sake of keeping runtime down and maintaining a pace of frequent action) that made her no doubt bitter and displeased.. and unlike Weller who seems to have chalked it up more to 'it is what it is', Nancy probably made more a stink of it. Stink that she seems to have left mostly at Kersh's feet. Which whether deserved or not could have contributed to cutting her character out more as it went.. perhaps. Perhaps not. I still think the film being chopped down to emphasize action was a mostly if not fully unilateral decision without regard to anyone in particular.

In any event I'm sorry Rolston got caught up in that cutting up as well. It's neat to hear this though. Especially since it always seemed to me he along with one or two other characters might have had - even if only slightly - bigger roles in the film that like so much else just got axed out.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:00 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
But even then, again, I don't think it was all her and she got cut because of that as Rolston's statement sort-of implies. More a mixed bag - As her scenes (along with others) got cut through the process of that hellish production (remember they cut a lot of exposition and character stuff for the sake of keeping runtime down and maintaining a pace of frequent action).

I got the trilogy on blu-ray again and watched through them all for the first time in a good while, and when watching Robo 2 I was thinking about this stuff a bit. In the past I was more leaning towards buying into the controversy and blaming Irvin Kershner for cutting her scenes. But as I watched it again I had to objectively ask: "does Lewis actually feel underused in this movie?" and the answer is no, not really. I don't know if anyone has checked the amount of screen time she has in each movie and I could be totally wrong but I feel like she did not appear in R2 much less than the first movie. She is not quite as important to the story, but unlike the first movie she is there right by Robo's side in the last scene of the movie. We all know Frank Miller's original script for RoboCop 2 was too much for one movie, and I agree that they focused on the action and a lot of character stuff was lost in the process. But RoboCop 2 does a good job of focusing on Robocop's personal vendetta against Cain, which is a fitting parallel to his arc with Boddicker in the first film. And to do that arc in each movie Robo needs to be a lone ranger and face them alone at times.

In all the films, Nancy Allen is not so much the co-star as one of the core supporting cast, alongside the Old Man and Sgt Reed. She got her brightest moment early in RoboCop 3, where we see Lewis on her own in a long and action packed sequence that did her character justice imo. I definitely have nothing but respect for Nancy Allen, and believe that she wasn't treated as well as she should have on the set of RoboCop 2. However, after reassessing the movie with fresh eyes, I don't think any offscreen drama had a negative impact on the final, at least as far Lewis is concerned. The behind the scenes shenanigans seem more apparent in other areas, but I think Lewis served her role in the film well. She may not have been at Robo's side the whole time, but she was there with him in the end.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
JohnBoyAdvance
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:56 pm Reply with quote

I think in regards to Lewis in Robocop 2, I think, while she might not have been the co-star in Robocop 1, her scenes in the second half of the movie guide Robocop towards being Murphy. And I guess you would think that the sequel would add a bit more to Lewis, probably have her kicking the shit outta someone again. But instead they kinda add and expand on characters.

While I would have liked more Lewis in Robo 2, its not the worst thing about Robo 2.

RB 710

cake
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:48 pm Reply with quote

When I was a kid I also felt Lewis was off-camera for too long. Although she has really cool action scenes, they were able to keep the tough cookie characterization on point.

We can also see her loyalty to Robo when he is dismantled, and it was funny how she grows increasingly frustrated with reprogrammed Robo.

I get opinions saying there was nothing else for her to do in the plot, and it could be the deleted scenes were weak. I still feel there was more room for her having a more solid presence as a partner outside of action scenes.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:21 am Reply with quote

artuditu :
I get opinions saying there was nothing else for her to do in the plot, and it could be the deleted scenes were weak. I still feel there was more room for her having a more solid presence as a partner outside of action scenes.

Word.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard