New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop 2 - What happened?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote

As a cyborg, Robo was never more human than in R2 when all the directives disappeared.

RB 1199

game-xbox
JohnBoyAdvance
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote

I enjoyed the hell out of Robocop 2.

But, I think where it stumbles is that it just feels mean to watch. Hob, the kids in the arcade, the kids in the street, the couple in the limo at the start, Duffy's interrogation and death, hell even at the end where the old man is literally stepping over a body to get in the car. It kinda gets you down. Your big triumphant moment is tainted.

I think its overall a misunderstanding of dark humour.

I also think it needs a better pacing. After Robocop crashes into Cain's van, you barely see him again whilst Faxx and Hob plots. Yeah there was meant to be a scene in the Robocop 2 lab with Robo and Lewis. But that was gone. Dunno what you can do without a bit of a complete re-shift.

Overall I think they did the best of a bodge job.

RB 710

cake
RoboWags
Ultra Police Watch Commander

L-L1

Comment: "Its time to show how real cops kick ass."

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:59 am Reply with quote

RoboCop 2 was never a problem for me. I think they would've benefited much greater with Verhoeven at the helm and we would've gotten a much better movie, but director aside I feel the movie still added depth to the characters. It certainly did more for them than Robo 3 did... It still felt like a RoboCop movie to me and I think that's important.

RB 2728

ultra1 ultra2 lewis-figure2 game-nes1 sprite-robocop1 award comic1-robocop
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote

JBA and Wags both pretty much said it for me.. R2 got a lot wrong and went too dark and harsh, but despite that it still feels like RoboCop.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote

R2 has some weirdness to it that makes it different from almost anything else. I think it's mostly thanks to Frank Miller screenplay and the year 1990, just when the 80's were dying and we got other crazy movies like Total Recall, Predator 2, Ninja Turtles, Dick Tracy... All of them have a freakish or exaggerated tone... And there is the violence, Total Recall, Predator 2 and Robocop 2 are among the goriest mainstream films of their time, which for Pred and Robo it turned out to be too mean-spirited, even if they still have lots of fun stuff.

Then James Cameron reached a new height with Terminator 2, introduced CGI and the tone was more mainstream, serious and polished, with no weird stuff. Talking about dates, I just realized there was a Robocop 2 before Terminator 2 Laughing

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote

artuditu :
Talking about dates, I just realized there was a Robocop 2 before Terminator 2 Laughing

Well yeah, Mr. Cameron made some not-too-kind remarks about R2 in one of those publications in an interview where he was in the middle of making T2 (R2 had just been released). But I would expect you of all people to know that! tongue

Anyway not to veer off a bit but I really think there is something to this 1990 thing myself. Even what should be arguably 'lighter' flicks like Kindergarten Cop and Tremors they too still had a kind of odd dark tone to them I think. And that would carry on for a bit longer on a few examples - The Last Boy Scout, Alien3, etc. Frankly I actually kinda like that whole maybe-a-tad-too-dark thing myself, which probably explains my perhaps higher enjoyment of all those films, R2 included.

I guess essentially I agree with ya yet again here - I concur it seems indeed a rather 'post-80s' thing where that kind of full-on and over the top yet rather harsh and raw type of film was having a swansong before the paradigm shift to T2/Last Action Hero/Demolition Man-ish kind of movies that even when they're trying to be action filled and are sharp are also rather 'lighter', lacking a certain grit. In R3's case perhaps they saw this coming and tried to adjust to it but truth-be-told it doesn't work for Robo to me.

And so while R2 was too dark and harsh, I will still prefer that to the too light R3. Again this is partly due to my own preference for a bit of a darker and grittier piece. But I also agree in R2's case specifically it has a uniqueness to it as well. Though much of it feels familiar (and I daresay much of this is due to Weller, but not entirely) even then it is also quite different. It is its own. And while that puts some people off, I rather admire and appreciate that. As I think you yourself also said before it's far from generic, which can't entirely be said about many other sequels - R3 included.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:07 am Reply with quote

The comments about R2 being too harsh in a time when movies were losing their edge got me thinking. You all have made a good point about 90s movies (continuing to the present), they are meant for all audiences despite the rating system. The filmmakers and the production companies want to fill those seat and have the half billion dollar box office returns. Robocop was not meant for everyone. In fact coming from Verhoeven, it was more like an independent film, which are sometimes made with no mainstream audience in mind. It reads to me like a work of art (not just because I am a fan), but in the way art is a reflection of life. It spoke to the political and societal issues at the time and put a humorous spin on them, in a serious movie. That being said, Robocop 2 was probably written to be artful, by the way in makes comments on crime, the drug war, political and corporate deals, etc. but it was not executed nearly as well. I have read that Irvin Kershner did not have the same rapport with the actors on the film and that his vision for the movie was not what the writers had intended. In fact, its as though he was trying to make a typical mainstream 90s movie, with as much violence jammed into it as possible.
I always felt that it should have been darker, more serious in tone. The Robocop 2 score was also detrimental for me on account of it being less ominous and instead of mournful, it sounds like some triumphant overture with the "Robocop" chants in the chorus! [/list]

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote

RoboJOF :
it sounds like some triumphant overture with the "Robocop" chants in the chorus! [/list]

This song is only used during the end credits.

RB 1199

game-xbox
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote

That's true, Hobb. I still love Robocop 2, but while the score was what you might expect in a superhero movie (big booming instruments, a rousing main theme), it doesn't seem to match the film's mood at times. But I guess when you are a composer and your are given the task of creating music for a Robocop movie, knowing that he has become hero in comics, tv, etc., I shouldn't be too surprised with what was written.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
Superquad7
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote

I hope you guys don't feel like I'm bringing up an old thread, but I found myself reviewing everyone's comments here (including my own) again, and I've always wanted to write an analysis of R2. I feel I'm a bit closer today to this than I have been in a long time, as I'm doing some preliminary work starting with this thread. I think each of you have brought up some REALLY great points. I hope I can continue this work we have all laid the foundation for here.

More news at 11! Smile

RB 549

Scratch Card
LaughingSnowman
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:11 pm Reply with quote

I get depressed watching R2 so I choose not to watch it anymore. I don't even find it fun because it has such a discouraging feel to it.

RB 10

Superquad7
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:58 pm Reply with quote

LaughingSnowman :
I get depressed watching R2 so I choose not to watch it anymore. I don't even find it fun because it has such a discouraging feel to it.

Bleah!

RB 549

Scratch Card
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote

LaughingSnowman :

Interesting, what parts do you find depressing? I've seen so many movies since R2 that truly are sad and depressing (recently Midsommar and Joker) and nowadays Robo2 is pretty ok in its tone. A bit cold but its fine.

The terrifying Murphys death scene from the first movie still tops anything that Robo2 can throw at you.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard