New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop 2 - What happened?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Comment: I type it, you think it

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote

I mean all traces of human being and Murphy., not leaving any kind of emotions or persinality in him. Thats why he instantly seemed "off" when I first saw the movie in R3. That wasnt the RoboCop I knew and I couldnt identify with the piece of hardware that he was changed into. To further explain what I mean, here are just a few examples:

-In the first 2 movies, Robocop IS Murphy, with the same personality and everything, only with sgnificant memory loss and enclosed in a metallic body. in "RoboCop", we see Robo in pain many times, gritting his teeth and twisting when he's fighting the painful program in Jones' office:

Or when he's impaled by Clarence, or when he's shot by ED 209. We also see him scared, surprised and angry, like when Lewis tells him who he is, or when he sees Lewis after getting chased by the SWAT team. We see him sad and depresses. We also see him visibly making a physical effort to lift heavy things, like when hes taking the debris off of him after killing Clarence. Hes a MAN, just in a cyborg body

Same in RoboCop 2 - We see him twice on a verge of crying, with a shaky voice, when hes responding to Hozlgang's mental bashing and when he's comforting Hob. We see him sad and we see screaming and gritting teeth in pain, like when hes captured, fought and then tortured in factory or when hes electrocuting himself, we see him pissed off like when in the factory, promising that he will kill him:

And we also see him in pain and physcially reacting when hurt and making effort to lift/move heavy things, like when hes pulling Cain off the rooftop

Now take a look at R3. Nothing. Throughout the entire movie, theres not one trace of emotions or humanity on his part. His voice is so deep that he sounds angry all the time, but hes not. Hes just raising his voice sometimes. Look how he reacts when he gets hurt:

See the difference? He feels no pain. He acts like hes constantly on valium. Remember in R1 when he kills Clarence and screams after the hurt Lewis? "Lewis!!" and in R3 he never does anything, he just looks at her and then he still shows no emotions at all. And not to mention he's talk - "vehicle approaching", "tracking". Not recognizing jokes, like the Mac truck joke and responding to them literally, not even being capable of humane conversation with a kid. The kid asks him "how are you feeling?" and he says "My efficiency rate is 93%"

And theres plenty more. The bottom line is, Dekker completely erased Murphy and replaced him with a piece of stiff hardware that has as much personality as a toaster. I mean, can you imagine the Robo from the first two movies after getting hurt by Clarence or Cain;s gang saying " you are under arrest for destroying Police property"?

This is all the expressions we see in Robo throughout the entire movie

RB 525

dvd-robocop2 prototype-figure2 prototype-figure1
RoboFan85
O-L1

O-L1

Comment: Come quietly or there will be... trouble.

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote

I get your point now, in R1 and 2, it's murphy as a cop/robot, and R3, it's all robot talking and moving, if you get what im saying, not one sign of "murphy" is in the Robocop cyborg, which is why 3 sucked on SO many levels and the director wasn't P.H.

RB 349

KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:58 am Reply with quote

Thats right. And whats funny about it is that in some interviews Dekker said that hes going back to the roots and to what the character is all about. Funny guy he is

http://robocopmovies.blogspot.com/

RB 525

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote

KidGoesWild :
Thats right. And whats funny about it is that in some interviews Dekker said that hes going back to the roots and to what the character is all about. Funny guy he is

I guess a possible explanation of the "no-pain" RoboCop in the third movie is that itīs aimed for kids, so maybe it would be "disgusting" for the kids to see his hero suffering... Who knows!

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote

I dont know. I think Dekker simply didnt get the character and just presented him as a robot only, or perhaps as you say it was a conscious decision to just make him a robot and nothing more because thats cooler for kids. Cause were not talking about just pain, he has zero emotions throughout the entire movie. And the robotic dialogue he spewes, mentioned above as well. I like how someone once described him as Robo on Valium

RB 525

RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:34 am Reply with quote

What's up with the electrocution chest-thrusts in Robocop 2?

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote

Really?..Never wondered about that just figured it was a result of a massive system overload.

RB 5648

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
chaos one
O-L3

O-L3

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote

RoboJOF :
What's up with the electrocution chest-thrusts in Robocop 2?

I used to think he was being pulled forward but now I don't know..

RB 856

game-xbox
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote

Whatever it is, the chest thrust is surely memorable. If Robocop ever crashes into a nightclub where they are playing 90s hip hop music, he can raise the robotic roof with the Chest Thrust dance move.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
Maxlee
C-L1

C-L1

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote

It's an actor in a heavy cumbersome suit being told by the director to act like "a cyborg being electrocuted", what would you have done ? Laughing

Speaking of this scene, you also see RoboCop falling on his knees, keeping this position must have been touch for Weller as well. Who knows in what pain his knees where afterwards (and how broken the suit was at the knee area)

RB 1560

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote

RoboJOF :
Whatever it is, the chest thrust is surely memorable. If Robocop ever crashes into a nightclub where they are playing 90s hip hop music, he can raise the robotic roof with the Chest Thrust dance move.

He could get back with his wife if he did those sexual movements when they talked alone.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Ex-Machino
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:06 am Reply with quote

KidGoesWild :
I mean all traces of human being and Murphy., not leaving any kind of emotions or persinality in him. Thats why he instantly seemed "off" when I first saw the movie in R3. That wasnt the RoboCop I knew and I couldnt identify with the piece of hardware that he was changed into. To further explain what I mean, here are just a few examples:

-In the first 2 movies, Robocop IS Murphy, with the same personality and everything, only with sgnificant memory loss and enclosed in a metallic body. in "RoboCop", we see Robo in pain many times, gritting his teeth and twisting when he's fighting the painful program in Jones' office:

Or when he's impaled by Clarence, or when he's shot by ED 209. We also see him scared, surprised and angry, like when Lewis tells him who he is, or when he sees Lewis after getting chased by the SWAT team. We see him sad and depresses. We also see him visibly making a physical effort to lift heavy things, like when hes taking the debris off of him after killing Clarence. Hes a MAN, just in a cyborg body

Same in RoboCop 2 - We see him twice on a verge of crying, with a shaky voice, when hes responding to Hozlgang's mental bashing and when he's comforting Hob. We see him sad and we see screaming and gritting teeth in pain, like when hes captured, fought and then tortured in factory or when hes electrocuting himself, we see him pissed off like when in the factory, promising that he will kill him:

And we also see him in pain and physcially reacting when hurt and making effort to lift/move heavy things, like when hes pulling Cain off the rooftop

Now take a look at R3. Nothing. Throughout the entire movie, theres not one trace of emotions or humanity on his part. His voice is so deep that he sounds angry all the time, but hes not. Hes just raising his voice sometimes. Look how he reacts when he gets hurt:

See the difference? He feels no pain. He acts like hes constantly on valium. Remember in R1 when he kills Clarence and screams after the hurt Lewis? "Lewis!!" and in R3 he never does anything, he just looks at her and then he still shows no emotions at all. And not to mention he's talk - "vehicle approaching", "tracking". Not recognizing jokes, like the Mac truck joke and responding to them literally, not even being capable of humane conversation with a kid. The kid asks him "how are you feeling?" and he says "My efficiency rate is 93%"

And theres plenty more. The bottom line is, Dekker completely erased Murphy and replaced him with a piece of stiff hardware that has as much personality as a toaster. I mean, can you imagine the Robo from the first two movies after getting hurt by Clarence or Cain;s gang saying " you are under arrest for destroying Police property"?

This is all the expressions we see in Robo throughout the entire movie

Brilliant. this is why I donīt acknowledge Robo3, you forgot to mention, that when Robo is fighting to override directive 4 at Jones office we can ACTUALLY see his breathing, his waist sorta moves with the effort he is making. I donīt know if that was deliberate, or it was simply Weller struggling inside the suit. In any case the scene is very real. Then afterwards when he is rescued by Lewis, we can see his face is sweating of the effort that it took him to escape Jones, ED-209 and Hedgecock.

When Robo is broken into pieces in R2, the technician chick says he is in hell of the pain he is enduring. Also when he electrocutes himself, it took many cops to lift him up, and n R3 only a couple of malnourished rebels could carry him without a problem?

Another thing that bothers me from R3 is how people talk to him and he doesnīt respond. As if the humanity he developed in R1 went to waste. And yes it bothers me how he doesnt feel any emotional or physical pain throughout the movie. He is just a toy, with a flight pack, for kids:/

RB 87

game-xbox
Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote

Maxlee :
It's an actor in a heavy cumbersome suit being told by the director to act like "a cyborg being electrocuted", what would you have done ? Laughing

Speaking of this scene, you also see RoboCop falling on his knees, keeping this position must have been touch for Weller as well. Who knows in what pain his knees where afterwards (and how broken the suit was at the knee area)
I imagine there was a mat for Peter to fall on to to protect his knees and the suit. They simply add the sounds of metal hitting the concrete in post. A pair of stunt legs could have been used for the distant shot we see of Robo actually on his knees, so we wouldn't notice the damage or crappyness of the legs.

RB 18145

KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote

Ex-Machino :

Brilliant. this is why I donīt acknowledge Robo3, you forgot to mention, that when Robo is fighting to override directive 4 at Jones office we can ACTUALLY see his breathing, his waist sorta moves with the effort he is making. I donīt know if that was deliberate, or it was simply Weller struggling inside the suit. In any case the scene is very real. Then afterwards when he is rescued by Lewis, we can see his face is sweating of the effort that it took him to escape Jones, ED-209 and Hedgecock.

When Robo is broken into pieces in R2, the technician chick says he is in hell of the pain he is enduring. Also when he electrocutes himself, it took many cops to lift him up, and n R3 only a couple of malnourished rebels could carry him without a problem?

Another thing that bothers me from R3 is how people talk to him and he doesnīt respond. As if the humanity he developed in R1 went to waste. And yes it bothers me how he doesnt feel any emotional or physical pain throughout the movie. He is just a toy, with a flight pack, for kids:/

EggSacTly

RB 525

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard