New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

The Old Man Topic.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote

This scenes plays at about 44 minutes into RoboCop3 and to me it always seemed to hint that the old man was removed from his chair. That he became expendable.

But it could also be interpreted that it was something the old man used to say.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Comment: I type it, you think it

Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
This scenes plays at about 44 minutes into RoboCop3 and to me it always seemed to hint that the old man was removed from his chair. That he became expendable.

Hmm,, now thats a very good catch! For some reason I always assumed its something the Old Man used to say, but Johnson doesnt say "remember what Old man used to say".

RB 525

dvd-robocop2 prototype-figure2 prototype-figure1
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote

KidGoesWild :
I think its an interesting and great idea to suggest Nazi/Totalitarian occupation with OCP taking over Detroit. A very fitting one too. My one and only small criticism about that is that in here the meaning isnt really hidden - the Nazi reference is just so obvious that you cant believe how identical that stuff is.

I think they choose to make it overly obvious so absolutely EVERYONE would get it. The problem with anything subtle in movies is that it always leaves room for interpretation and the casual moviegoer just wont pick up anything remotely subtle. Just look at the Transformers movies. a caveman could watch them without getting confused and that is how they are meant to be.

That's why a lot of people see RoboCop as a fun action movie while the lucky bunch can see the different layers and get so much more.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote

Archive :

I think they choose to make it overly obvious so absolutely EVERYONE would get it. The problem with anything subtle in movies is that it always leaves room for interpretation and the casual moviegoer just wont pick up anything remotely subtle. Just look at the Transformers movies. a caveman could watch them without getting confused and that is how they are meant to be.

That's why a lot of people see RoboCop as a fun action movie while the lucky bunch can see the different layers and get so much more.

Well, thats absolutely true. But the difference for me in this example is that analogies and innuendos were rather subtle in the first two RoboCop movies. And yes, in R2 too with this one exception. Its not something that's bothering me or anything, but if I could I would at least loose the red markings on the black leather uniforms

RB 525

Officer Harvey
Metro West District, Detroit Police Department, OCP

O-L1

Comment: I'm not in a Labor Union. I'm a Police Officer. I Don't Strike.

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:32 am Reply with quote

Archive :

OH SH*T! Were they implying he was killed??? LMFAO go figure knowing OCP's track record.

RB 25

Officer Alex J Murphy
R-L1

R-L1

Comment: Murphy it's you

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote

There wasnt any change in the old mans character in Robo 2 We just seen a lot more of him in Robo 2. Like many have said he wasnt exactly nice in Robo 1 talking about finacial loses after Kenny's death rather than the fact that a person died

RB 56

KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote

Officer Alex J Murphy :
There wasnt any change in the old mans character in Robo 2 We just seen a lot more of him in Robo 2. Like many have said he wasnt exactly nice in Robo 1 talking about finacial loses after Kenny's death rather than the fact that a person died

Right, as Ive said couple of pages back

In addition to that, Jones feared the Old Man. If such powerful and cold man like Jones who had big crime connections feared Old Man, then he obviously knew something we didnt. He didnt get rid of the Old Man like he did with Bob. He never even thought about it even tho the fact that the Old Man was still breathing kept him from being #1. So he knew something more. Knew not to screw with the Old Man

RB 525

bucka607
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote

Daniel O' Herlihy was the best old man out of all the robocops. My favourite line from him has to be in R2 when cain and robo are going at it and he just roars out ''BEHAVE YOURSELVES'' they just carry on shooting eachother and its like he just says fuck this leave them at it....

RB 66

KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:47 am Reply with quote

Theres something I always missed every time I was watching R3. The CEO says: Our esteemed former chairman had a dream. He called it Delta City!".
Esteemed means having an illustrious reputation, being respected. SO that definitely rules out the possibility of him being prosecuted. I also think taking him off the chair is out of the loop too. I think now that he either died or simply retired

RB 525

TheOldManOCP
R-L5

R-L5

Comment: Anyone can buy OCP's stock and own a piece of our city. What could be more democratic than that?

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote

I think that the old man's nature just became more obvious and overt just like OCP's.

In my opinion, they went over-the-top with the nazi banners, uniforms, and the addition of the lawyer. His character just evolved a bit to fit the new more evil OCP.

By the way: I was watching the Blu-ray of R2, and I noticed that there is a picture of the Old Man with Ronald Reagan on his desk during the scene with the Mayor. That fits more in-line with the 80's economic satire from the first film, and it's nice and subtle.

EDIT Adding Screenshots:
Screenshot from the DVD

President Reagan for comparison

It's hardly conclusive, but I think it's President Reagan.

RB 70

game-xbox
Sean_001
Vault Dweller

DC-L1

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote

TheOldManOCP :
By the way: I was watching the Blu-ray of R2, and I noticed that there is a picture of the Old Man with Ronald Reagan on his desk during the scene with the Mayor. That fits more in-line with the 80's economic satire from the first film, and it's nice and subtle.

EDIT Adding Screenshots:
Screenshot from the DVD

It's hardly conclusive, but I think it's President Reagan.

I'd say it's a certainty. Of course, I have noticed this in the past. Always gave me a little chuckle. But not really what i thought was worth a mention. There are alot of GEMS in the first two RoboCop movies that are humorous and a nice wink.

I'll spare the details, if but to get back on topic.

KidGoesWild's posts and blogs taken into account, there's still alot we don't know about The Old Man. But that is only going on what's cannon in the films. He's going purely by movie reference alone.

What i pose is, What other forms of RoboCop media (ie, cartoons and comics) can we hold in high regards as cannon?

In the cartoon series from the late '80's, we saw a pretty much the same character as the 1987 film. But in that case, The Old Man had mostly been indebted to Murphy for saving his life (referenced the ending of "RoboCop"). But still a cold-calculated Businessman of the Reagan Era. In several episodes, we see The Old Man plotting against Murphy, but still outside of the situation. So, I'd say, and with some reverence, that the cartoon series (at least in small doses) can be held as Cannon.

In the Marvel Comics line (as the only comic company to incorporate the Old Man into the stories), we see him, once again, plotting against Murphy. Whether it was the sometimes comical plots of the earlier issues, or the more serious stories of the later issues. The Old Man changes roles from latter to former.

Given the story of the last 6-9 issues, Johnson had struck a deal with General Flak to destroy RoboCop (so OCP could find what makes him work, and make an army of RoboCops), in exchange for an unaltered RoboCop body to replace his frail and failing flesh. Once the Old Man discovered the plot, he honored the deal. Therefore ensuring that Flak (or Robo-Flak by the end of the run) was in his back pocket. The Old Man had started to become shady. Almost villiany. We see the setup by The Old Man to kidnap Murphy's family, and get RoboCop to go against the law and hunt down the man responsible. The Old Man sent RoboFlak to take advantage of the situation, and take out RoboCop. Thusly ensuring that Murphy was destroyed and his body could be analyzed to continue (pressumably) the original plan to build an Army of Robos.

My major point to these ideas, is that The Old Man wasn't really a good person, nor a bad one. Just a business man with a God Complex. He's the head of a major multinational corporation. And he will do what is absolutely nessecary to get what he wants.

In the case of RoboCop 2 and RoboCop 3, I can only suggest that Kid's ideas are sound. The Old Man's destiny was death. Spoken highly of the R3 is a sure sign that he either died, or stepped down in the wake of the RoboCain fiasco.

Stepping down from his chair seems like a perfectly acceptable assumption. And it would certainly make sense for the good of the Company. He steps down without impeachment, or any kind of repercussion from Federal Prosecutors (Because Faxx was to blame for the whole thing). And without him as a moral/ethical compass, the company was in Chaos. The new acting Chairman was left with the only option his short-sighting brain could come up with: A joint endeavour with Katimitsu would ensure that OCP's plans for Delta City would go through. Even after The Old Man's ultimate absence from the Company, it seems as though his fingers were still sunk very deep into the company.

Of course, it also could be argued that he was removed from office in the wake of the RoboCain incident. A forced resignation due to Carnal Knowledge. It may not have been his idea to pick Cain's brain, but he knew about it. There could have been some corruption on Either Johnson's or Holtzgang's part. Betrayal is only a matter of money.

Whatever the fate of The Old Man, his absence was surely felt by all.

RB 700

OCP-stock ultra6 comic1-robocop game-nes1 game-nes4
TheOldManOCP
R-L5

R-L5

Comment: Anyone can buy OCP's stock and own a piece of our city. What could be more democratic than that?

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote

As far as his absence in R3, it's possible that he decided to step down due to the money problems OCP was having. I doubt his character would have wanted to be "second-banana" to an incoming buyer (in this case Kanemitsu). It's possible that he just stepped down to preserve his image and enjoy retirement.

RB 70

game-xbox
Gadget
O-L1

O-L1

Comment: A good citizen always tells the truth, right?

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:41 am Reply with quote

I think I remember someone saying the old man was expendable in the third movie... whether he stepped down or someone took him down was only implied I guess

... I don't really remember the third movie much >.<"

RB 241

WeKilledYou
DIRECTIVE 249 Don't be oversensitive to the hostility and negativity of others

L-L4

Comment: I know you. You're dead!

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote

Gadget :
I think I remember someone saying the old man was expendable in the third movie... whether he stepped down or someone took him down was only implied I guess

It was Vice President Donald Johnson who said that. I would think that somewhere along the line, the Old Man screwed up and those in the company saw a chance to for advancement, personal gain, and the opportunity to remove him from power.

RB 1163

RoboCain-v2 nuke-red-ramrod nuke-white-noise nuke-black-thunder nuke-blue-velvet UC-M21
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard